Altitude Industries iKamper Dealer and Overland Gear

Altitude Industries iKamper Dealer and Overland Gear
Trailers, Kitchens, Overland Gear, Rooftop Tents

Grill Mod


One common modification people make to their JK is putting some type of expanded aluminum or perferated metal sheet behind the plastic grill to hide the radiator.

I decided to give it a try since its non-destructive and cheap.
The first step it to remove the plastic "screws" that are along the top of the grill when you open the hood. I found using a paint can opener worked well.



Here is what the "screws" look like.  There is a small inner screw that you have to pull out.  That releases the tension on the plug and you can then pull that out.

After that you can tilt the grill down, and pull the bottom away from the jeep.  Its connected by some clips that just pop in and out.  Its tight and it feels like you are going to break something, but you won't.

Next, unclip your blinkers. 

Once the grill is off, it will look like this.

Here is the piece of aluminum I found at Lowes.  It was in the nuts&bolts isle by the small amount of raw steel they carry.  It was $25 which is cheaper than ordering from McMaster Carr's like a lot of people do, plus you don't have to pay shipping.

I chose this clover leaf pattern.  They had a few different options, but I thought this looked good and will let enough air through.

Next, take a piece of cardboard and make a template.  Put the cardboard behind the grill so you can see how everything is going to line up.  You'll have to make cut outs where the clips are on the back of the grill.

Here is what my finished template looked like.  You fold over the top part to make a "L" shaped overall piece.  The top of the upside down "L" hangs on the top of the radiator frame where the grill attaches.  Basically, you are mirroring the shape of the grill.

And here is what it looks like sitting on the back of the grill

Next, trace the pattern onto your aluminum sheet.

I used electric metal sheers to cut this out, but metal tins snips work fine.

Then, put the sheet behind the grill for a test fit.  I'm sure a lot of people would like the aluminum look, but I decided to go black to make it "go away" a little more.  I'm not into the chrome accent look.

You don't really need to attach the sheet in any way, it will be held behind the grill with the pressure of the grill pushing on it.  However, I noticed during my test fit that the sheet tended to bow and create a gap at the bottom of the grill slots.  So, I used another popular method to attach the sheet, which is using zip ties.  First you get the sticky backs and attach them to back of the grill.  I used gorilla glue to attach them since the sticky backing never holds.

Here is what the grill looks like.  You can see my zip ties holding the grill at the bottom.

Here is the finished product!  You can't quite see what it will look like because I have my bumper off for my next mod...


Site Meter