Altitude Industries iKamper Dealer and Overland Gear

Altitude Industries iKamper Dealer and Overland Gear
Trailers, Kitchens, Overland Gear, Rooftop Tents

Cobra 75 CB Radio

Having a CB radio is a requirement for most jeep clubs.  Its also useful for weather updates and if you get into trouble.





The kit comes with a handheld unit that includes most of the normal functions that are in a larger traditional cb radio "box".   You just need a small amp which can be located somewhere out of sight.  I chose the location under the glove box.


When you take out our glove box, this what you see.  You can mount the amp right to that metal bracket, like this.  It took some creativity trying to drill the hole and get the screws mounted with such a small space to fit the drill into.


After getting that installed, I took the plastic panel off that fits below the glove box.  I drilled a hole and installed the cb quick disconnect.  This way, you can just store you hand held in the glove box and only plug it in when you need it.  Next I ran the long cable from the amp to the rear of the jeep.  I took the plastic cover off the inside of the tailgate.  I used the existing hole here (had to enlarge it a bit with a 3/4" drill bit) to run the cable inside the tailgate.


The cable comes out the back side of the tailgate here.

There is a rubber stopper in this location that looks like this


I drilled a hole in the center of it, then cut a slit in the bottom of the stopper up to the hole with a bandsaw.  This allowed me to slide the stopper around the cable, and then insert the stopper back into the hole in the tailgate, like this.


I fed the remaining cable into the inside of the tailgate, and then snapped the cover back onto thet tailgate.


I threaded the cable onto my cb antenna mount that I ordered with my Expedition One tire swing.


I wired my cb radio through a switch in the dash and then to my custom auxilliary fuse panel.  See my previous posts for install info on those mods. 
Site Meter